[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 4 11:16:03 EST 2014

<snip>

>>  The above complainant doesn't say if they have kids, and it's
> likely that he would say that if they did, so we'll assume it is just him
> and his wife. It might be possible for both of them to consume a total of 138
> hours of 1080p video content in total a month, however I think they'd be an
> anomaly, as there really isn't much time to do anything else. This is
> assuming they're both full time workers, if one or both of them are
> unemployed or on a full time pension then consuming that amount of content is
> far more achievable, but that also makes them less representative of typical
> residential broadband usage in the US.
>>

> You are presuming they have no other internet traffic use at all.

I agree it isn't necessarily a realistic presumption, however that email/comment was being used to support this statement:

"I'm sure you've all read the articles where US broadband users complain that they can't watch Netflix at full quality as often as they like even with caps of hundreds of gigabytes.caps impact netflix movie quality."

100s of GB will allow you to watch well over a 100 hours of Netflix video at 1080p per month. If you choose to use up your quota with other things, then obviously you've got less possible hours of 1080p Netflix per month.