[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Oz Nog oz.nog at yandex.com
Wed Dec 3 11:45:23 EST 2014

> From the articles I've read ever since capped plans were started to be introduced in the US (by Comcast IIRC, at 250GB a few years back IIRC) they haven't been very popular at all.
   Well, of course they haven't been popular since it's a plain anti-consumer money grab by Comcast. Unfortunately some users have not had a choice in the matter.

> Maybe other people on the list have, but I haven't come across any. Can you link to at least one of them?
  The complaints are most often voiced in the comments section of whatever writeup touches upon the matter.
  Here's a typical comment from Hacker News:

"I live in one of the areas with the caps and this is how it plays out:

1. I tell my wife to stop playing so many movies on netflix. 2. I stopped watching youtube or other video services unless I really, really want to see something. 3. I watch my internet usage and choose when to use it. 4. I cancelled Hulu. 5. I grow suspicious of my neighbors when my usage seems high as there is no breakdown of where usage comes from. 6. I suspect comcast's own services are not counted towards the meter, but can't prove anything. 7. I stopped playing so many games. 8. I now strategize my downloads.

There is no real other choice in my area -- the closest competitor to Comcast offers less than half the speed and only advertises for 1/4 the speed.

In my opinion, as someone affected by this, it's just a way to squeeze the customer more and maintain a monopoly on content."

Source: "What Xfinity Internet Data Usage Plans will Comcast be Launching?" https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8639038

Cheers,

Baz