[AusNOG] multicast addresses

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 2 20:49:23 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

Going by RFC6308, "Overview of the Internet Multicast Addressing Architecture", that looks like a range you could use as it is the Organisation Local scope. However, as with RFC1918s, you could have problems with lack of uniqueness and colliding groups if you happened to want to join to another network that is using that multicast address space.

The GLOP space John Edwards mentioned or the Unicast-Prefix-Based Allocation space (RFC6034), used with a globally unique IPv4 prefix <= /24, would avoid that problem.

Of course, IPv6 has none of these issues, as there is plenty of room to embed 4 byte ASNs or a unicast /64 prefix or shorter in the multicast address space and still have room for 4 billion multicast groups. (see the slides starting at slide number 87 in http://www.users.on.net/~markachy/nvtkaipv6.pdf )