[AusNOG] Telstra NBN Woes in Toowoomba

Greg Lipschitz Greg at thesummitgroup.com.au
Tue Dec 2 12:31:29 EST 2014

We had a client on a Telstra NBN connection and found the same thing.

After much poking of the Telstra bear we got the following response;
"If the customer has a BYO router, they will need to ensure that all VoIP traffic (SIP signalling and RTP audio) has its QoS DSCP set to "Best Effort" in the handsets, OR has the router set to Remark ALL traffic as "Best Effort"."

Indeed, we found this to be the case as if we sat on the Mikrotik and change it from 43 (EF) to 0 (BE) it worked. You could start a call with DSCP 0, mid call change it to EF and watch the packets get dropped by Telstra, change it back and bingo, all working again.

It seems the reason Telstra are only allowing Telstra SIP trunks to use EF is so that they can sell "Phone Bundles" over the COS4 NBN plans and don't have to pay for COS1 on NBN and use the UNI-V ports thus blocking any competition using a Telstra tail to deliver voice with EF QoS tags.

Pain in the arse for those trying to sell VoIP and be carrier agnostic,... but They're Telstra so no real surprise. :P

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Lipschitz | Director | The Summit Group
E: Greg at thesummitgroup.com.au  W: www.thesummitgroup.com.au
The Summit Group (Australia) Pty Ltd | P: 1300 049 749 | Level 1, 39 Railway Road, Blackburn  VIC  3130
The Summit Group (USA) LLC | P: 321 216 3844 | Suite 561, 40E Main Street, Newmark  DE 19711