[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Oz Nog oz.nog at yandex.com
Tue Dec 2 11:03:33 EST 2014

01.12.2014, 23:55, "Luke Iggleden" <luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au>:
> Indeed the 20TB out of the box for any softlayer server is appealing at
> the lower end of the server market. (eg, cost around $250/m) By the time
> you actually load a box up with a decent amount of RAM and Processors
> and compare that to the rest of the domestic hosting market, it's
> generally on par though or not far behind.
   I will freely admit that my Googlefu may be a bit weak, but is there really much to choose from if you want 20TB or more on a 1Gbps uplink in Australia?
   All I've found so far in this price range (even including beefier hardware) are servers with 100M ports.
   Furthermore, I've lost count how many times I've been throttled to some single digit Mbps range for "abusive network usage" even when I've been within the allowed monthly traffic quota. And no, I am not doing anything fishy or abusive, simply using the server as it has been sold to me. This is the unfortunate reality with some domestic providers then they discover their overselling isn't feasible for all customers.

   As to hardware upgrades, Softlayer charges through the nose for those, but that's mainly for show. Since everybody knows the sticker prices are excessive, all you have to do is to ask for a proper quote to get some more decent pricing.

Cheers,

Baz