[AusNOG] "Telcos back internet piracy crackdown"

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sun Aug 31 13:54:42 EST 2014

<rant>

I saw this article as well and immediately thought 'bullshit' and written
by a journo or editor looking to stir things up...

I doubt ANY ISP would actually back the piracy crackdown.  It also says
iiNet supports it which would be a reversal of their previous policy.

The problem with this whole bullshit is that they are using the excuse of
child porn, terrorism and copyright infringement to guilt everyone into
putting a mechanism in place to have absolute control over the Internet in
Australia

We know what happens when government departments do when they don't have a
clue ala s313. (
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/391441,asic-admits-to-lack-of-technical-knowledge-in-s313-use.aspx)
and we saw the complete joke of an attempt of government ministers trying
to explain what metadata meant.

Companies like Village Roadshow are jumping on the bandwagon to do nothing
more than try to protect their massively unjustified costs. I was in Kuala
Lumpur the other day and saw Expendables 3 for MR16 (AU$5.40) and in
Singapore the same would be AU$10.50, Cambodia is about AU$4.50, with most
other countries in the region.  Even the US most cinemas are $5 or more
less than Australia.  All the cinemas I've been to from the above countries
as well as Beijing, Seoul, Hong Kong and others are better facilities than
anything I've been to in Australia.

Everyone claims Australia are the worst in the world when it comes to
piracy... but perhaps there is a direct correlation to us being the most
screwed on price in the world. We all know that the ACCC and others have
been chasing the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and others over their
'Australian Tax', especially on digital products which cost no more to
deliver.

My issue is that is all these proposed changes are being pushed forward by
bodies with an interest in protecting their own needs - nothing about
protecting anyone else.  The whole terrorist and child porn argument is
completely crap those who do these kinds of things are using network that
are very hard to track them down.  Only the idiots are using the public
internet and they will get caught due to their own stupidity.

What annoys me the most is that all these stupid organisations are pushing
with an agenda that is ultimately going to make their own lives even more
difficult.

If anything has taught us by how people have used the internet in countries
where it has attempted to be shut down and controlled is that the people
will find a way.

Their push on enforcement will develop new protocols, new encryption for
anything they break and new networks to anonymise ourselves even
further.... using tools which will make the lives of these organisations
even more difficult than ever before.

They do this.. when we even more move to VPN's... then encrypted VPN's...
behind things like TOR making it forever impossible to know what anyone at
all is doing.

Maybe this is a good thing... when ISPs truly cannot see what their users
are doing because it is all encrypted, maybe then they will leave us
alone... and look back and realise they did this to themselves.

But in the mean time they're going to make us spend a lot of money on
somethings that will ultimately be useless.

Personally I will be encouraging everyone I know to subscribe to an
off-shore VPN services or other services come up.

</rant>

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering