[AusNOG] Brocade CER-2024 Routers

Cheyne Jonstone cjonstone at staff.ventraip.com
Wed Aug 27 14:42:33 EST 2014

Hi David,

We recently started deploying the CER-RT's in March which were migrated
from 7204's and they have been great for the most part. I strongly
recommend getting in touch with Jason from http://www.asi.com.au/ and they
will take care of you. ASI has been amazing for us in terms of support and
dealing with Brocade.

The only issues we have had so far is more to do with Brocade support and
their reluctance to actually investigate issues without significant cause.
For example, last week we completely lost one of our CER-RT's dead in the
water without warning. No power getting to it from either PSU. Cold
restarts did nothing. Removing the PSU's and switching their location in
the unit magically made it come back to life and after several hours of
diag from Brocade support they deemed nothing wrong with the unit and
recommended replacing the power supplies and putting it back in to
production.

There was no way we were putting that unit back in production and pushed
and shoved to get it replaced which they eventually agreed to.

I also know that a large carrier who frequents this list used the CES
series (cousin of the CER) and had several issues but I believe they have
all been sorted now.

Everybody is going to have their horror stories of different devices and
I've heard many a story about the MX80's as well.

Despite all of this they are great units that work very well and we've just
ordered more for our refresh in Melbourne and our Perth deployments and
will continue using them until we find a reason not to.

Regards,

Cheyne Jonstone | VentraIP Australia
*Executive Chairman*

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM, David Hill <dhill at hostcentral.net.au>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Hoping to be put in touch with Australian resellers/distributors of the
> Brocade CER-2024 routers. I’m currently evaluating whether the CER-2024
> could be a viable part of Hostcentral’s core network refresh.
>
> I’d also be keen to hear from any end users of these devices - Especially
> anyone who’s migrated across from JunOS-based routers.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> David Hill
> * Hostcentral - Since 2002
> * http://www.hostcentral.net.au
> * ABN: 84 034 347 523
> * Tel: 1300 786 400 / 03 8648 6658
> * Fax: 03 8648 6659

*The contents of this email are strictly private and confidential unless
otherwise noted and is intended for the marked recipients only. If you are
not a marked recipient please disregard and delete this email.*