[AusNOG] SPAM-MED: Re: Vocus international service outage

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Wed Aug 27 07:37:48 EST 2014

On 27/08/2014 6:34 am, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> It wasn't as simple as having transit through a single upstream being
> the problem.  While the vocus outage was happening, they were still
> supplying a full routing table. So those of us with multiple upstreams
> had to completely shut down Vocus to stop the outage.  And the whole
> situation wasn't helped by Equinix using Vocus for their outbound
> internationally, so a ticket had to be lodged there to have them turn
> off Vocus (which thankfully they did immediately)

Would be nice if this happens in the future from Vocus again that the
routes are just removed. Most of the pain came from having those routes
still visible in the table.

Businesses who just default route to vocus will lose connectivity that
is broken anyway and full table clients will have the ability to route
around it automatically.

We're looking in to deploying something like this now to protect us from
this type of issue.

http://www.noction.com/

--
Luke Iggleden