[AusNOG] CloudFlare: The Relative Cost of Bandwidth Around the World

Cameron Ferdinands cameron at jferdinands.com
Wed Aug 27 01:31:10 EST 2014

I'm aware. 1:20 is not a realistic number for paid peering from Telstra.

Not only that but they've completely ignored backhaul costs.

Getting 100GE between AMS-IX, NL-ix, LINX and DE-CIX is significantly
cheaper then going between Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth (which
Telstra would also be doing for them if they purchased paid peering)

That's the equivalent of writing a blog post that you are paying slightly
more to Comcast because they have to haul it from the East Coast to the
West Coast USA. I suspect in the USA Cloudflare take ports in different
transit hubs, even for the same provider.