[AusNOG] Inline TAP to extract flow data?

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Sun Aug 24 10:19:58 EST 2014

Hi,

Last night reminded me of my long standing hate of juniper's inability to fix the issue between rpd and sampled and why we've been looking at upgrading to 240s or 480s.

As an alternative, given what we do with flow collection and analysis, it could be much better/cost effective to put inline taps and sample off device.

Is anyone else doing this (port mirror or other)?
Any recommendations on hardware (multiple 10G and 1G interfaces in 6 locations to be sampled)?

Obviously looking to come out cheaper, but with some level of reliability still ;)

Currently we are using nfsen for flow analysis if it helps with any recommendations.

Andrew
--
Andrew Yager, Managing Director   MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc MCP
Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust