[AusNOG] Routeros 6.15 Memory Leak

Mike Everest mike at duxtel.com
Fri Aug 15 16:14:32 EST 2014

The relatively frequent number of releases for routerOS is actually more
about controlled release of new features and patches to the wild than fixing
stuff that is broken.

Even so, there definitely ARE occasions when a new release does break
existing functionality! ;-)

One of the big challenges for software based on linux kernel is that there
is no exact control of kernel code feature and patch release, and so it is
hard to be sure that a new kernel feature won't break something in the OS
code.  It is certainly arguable that it may be preferable to simply NOT
introduce any new kernel features, but that is hard to do when customers are
chanting for specific new feature or functionalities ;-)

The big drive at the moment, to my knowledge, is improvement of multi-core
functionality for CCR routers.  As we all know, even in those 36 core
routers, there are still some functions that are constrained to a single
core so these systems still can't take max advantage of all that processing
power.  But it won't be like that forever, and with further development of
multi-cpu capability in linux kernel, we should start to see improvement in
CCR platform performance up to tenfold of current behaviour.

No holding breath for it to happen though, and in the meantime we continue
using routerOS v5.26 on production routers until there is a compelling
reason to upgrade ;-)

Cheers!  Mike.