[AusNOG] Routeros 6.15 Memory Leak

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Fri Aug 15 15:57:11 EST 2014

Even Cisco run software updates - and even people running Cisco might
not update for many many versions (unless a major bug or security flaw
is apparent and affecting use).

Small routers, and those I have direct physical access to, I keep
up-to-date (Mikrotik) but mentioned previously, I run 6.13, now 5
versions old, for the sake of knowing its working comfortably for my use.

I intend to upgrade one of my cores to 6.19 as it has a lot of
performance upgrades and transfer primary function to it after hours to
see how it performs, but between multiple physical boxes, and using the
partitioning feature on both, I have my fallback to 6.13 with, at the
worst, a call to remote hands in the DC. I've experienced similar
process' when using Cisco routers too, and I'm sure others with Juniper etc.

As for the change log - they've identified this and are apparently
working hard to provide better change logs as of 6.17 I believe.

The development and software release cycle, while it seems flawed, can
easily be navigated with research, with which saving so many $$ for a
product I've thus far found reliable, still makes it a big win in the
small to medium size ISP network.