[AusNOG] website unreachable on iiNet

Ben Grubb bgrubb at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Thu Aug 14 13:42:44 EST 2014

To answer Joshua's question, it was Verizon:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/08/13/heres-why-your-internet-might-have-been-slow-on-tuesday/

http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/files/2014/08/renesysverizonbgp.png

Regards,
Ben Grubb

On 14 August 2014 13:37, Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote:

> Hi Joshua
>

> http://bgp.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2Fvar%2Fdata%2Fbgp%2Fas2.0%2Fbgp-active.txt&descr=Active+BGP+entries+%28FIB%29&ylabel=Active+BGP+entries+%28FIB%29&range=Year&StartDate=&EndDate=&yrange=Auto&ymin=&ymax=&Width=1&Height=1&with=Step&color=auto&logscale=linear
>
> This large URL generates a plot of the BGP table with data points gathered
> every hour. The plot covers 12 months of history.
>
> I find it impossible to see that there was a sudden "spike" in recent days
> that is anomalous to the longer term trend of growth. Indeed I find it
> impossible to that that the growth of the BGP table is anything but linear
> these days, growing at a rate of some 50,000 entries per year. If this
> growth in the table passing of 512K entries in August 2014 is a "surprise"
> then I would rate this level of surprise at much the same level as its a
> "surprise" that sun rises each and every morning.
>
> Who is adding routes recently? See www.cidr-report.org
>
> Who is removing routes? same url.
>
> Is this week's cidr-report data any different from previous weeks? nope.
>
> I'm tempted to say "nothing to see here. move along"
>

> Geoff
>

> On 14 Aug 2014, at 7:40 am, Joshua D'Alton <joshua at railgun.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Anyone yet investigate who/what caused the table to grow by 1.6% in such
> short a time? Seems like such a rise might have caused some people issues
> prematurely, but then surely they'd have been aware of 512k for months now
> we've been above 500k..!
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Tom Storey <tom at snnap.net> wrote:
> > Not realted to:
> >

> http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/08/13/bgp-routing-table-size-limit-blamed-for-tuesdays-website-outages/
> >
> > perhaps?

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the
written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in
error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone
and delete all copies. Fairfax Media does not guarantee the accuracy or
completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files.
Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax Media does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached
files.