[AusNOG] website unreachable on iiNet

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Aug 14 13:37:38 EST 2014

Hi Joshua

http://bgp.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2Fvar%2Fdata%2Fbgp%2Fas2.0%2Fbgp-active.txt&descr=Active+BGP+entries+%28FIB%29&ylabel=Active+BGP+entries+%28FIB%29&range=Year&StartDate=&EndDate=&yrange=Auto&ymin=&ymax=&Width=1&Height=1&with=Step&color=auto&logscale=linear

This large URL generates a plot of the BGP table with data points gathered every hour. The plot covers 12 months of history.

I find it impossible to see that there was a sudden "spike" in recent days that is anomalous to the longer term trend of growth. Indeed I find it impossible to that that the growth of the BGP table is anything but linear these days, growing at a rate of some 50,000 entries per year. If this growth in the table passing of 512K entries in August 2014 is a "surprise" then I would rate this level of surprise at much the same level as its a "surprise" that sun rises each and every morning.

Who is adding routes recently? See www.cidr-report.org

Who is removing routes? same url.

Is this week's cidr-report data any different from previous weeks? nope.

I'm tempted to say "nothing to see here. move along"

Geoff