[AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

Pinkerton, Eric (AU Sydney) eric.pinkerton at baesystems.com
Tue Aug 12 10:15:28 EST 2014

I'll get back in my box then ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Newton [mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2014 9:44 AM
To: Pinkerton, Eric (AU Sydney)
Cc: terry at skymesh.net.au; ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

On 12 Aug 2014, at 9:55, "Pinkerton, Eric (AU Sydney)" <eric.pinkerton at baesystems.com> wrote:

>> I would assume you could defend yourself in court with "I may pay the bill, but I did not download that ... "
>
> "The Cheerleader Defence' as it's known has been proven time and time again to be problematic to say the least..

In this country, the so-called cheerleader defense has worked out pretty well. Formed the core of several of the uncontested findings of fact in AFACT v iiNet, and has been used successfully by at least one defendant in a child abuse case who benefited from shoddy police work because the cops hadn't bothered to prove that he did what they said he did.

   - mark

Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately. Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory. The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies under the control of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited, details of which can be found at http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/index.htm.