[AusNOG] Cumulus Linux / Switch Environment

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Aug 10 21:58:00 EST 2014

On 8 Aug 2014, at 02:49, Matt Perkins <matt at spectrum.com.au<mailto:matt at spectrum.com.au>> wrote:

We are getting our firsts Cumulus Linux enabled switches in the next week to start playing with in the lab. Has anyone else had any good/bad experience with them. Interested to know your thoughts. I will do a post when i get some experience with them.

We use them at the Leeds Internet Exchange (IXLeeds, in the UK, we’re in the part of the world that's borrowing the summer right now).

We’re running them on Quanta hardware.  There was a hardware fault on one of the switches that was discovered out of the box, this got dealt with right away.  We’ve had very minor software issues like snmpd memory leaking - these are handled with off-the-scale enthusiasm from the incredible guys at Cumulus.  There’s nothing we can’t do with them that we need to do, but we will get rid of some annoyances (such as in the way that our reseller programme is architected) when the Trident2 at Quanta ships.

They should definitely be investigated by your labs, I think that this software is the sort of thing that will form part of your networking swiss-army-knife.

Let us all know how you get on.
Andy