[AusNOG] NOC Software

David Hill dhill at hostcentral.net.au
Sun Aug 10 21:06:57 EST 2014

Daniel,

> One quick question, how do you actively monitor bandwidth on VMWare VM's on a VM instance, without having to install snmpd on each vm?
> Say one node has 10 customers vm's on it. And we want to monitor their throughput. How can I best achieve this?Kind Regards,

Depending on where you in your network you want to account for the data, you could do it on the hardware node the VMs are running on, your switches or your routers. Depending on your requirements, perhaps even a mirror port/vlan on your switch would be sufficient. You mentioned in an earlier in this thread that you’re using sflow - That will give you very detailed information on all of your network’s traffic.

Kind Regards,

David Hill
* Hostcentral - Since 2002
* http://www.hostcentral.net.au