[AusNOG] Cisco routers on NBN 100/40Mbps connection

David Hill dhill at hostcentral.net.au
Sun Aug 10 20:52:14 EST 2014

Hi James,

> Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at a 100/40Mbps NBN connection from a decent provider like iiNet/Internode.

I’ve had 100/40Mbps SOHO services from both over the last couple of years. Internode’s tech support/service was flawless. I had a bit of trouble getting online with iiNet (they use IPoE for NBN and Internode is/was using PPPoE). This was largely due to tech support not having the necessary visibility (at the time) of relevant errors/logs.

> I have been told to stay away from cheapie providers like Exetel or TPG as their networks apparently are crap as they have unlimited plans.

Depending on where your sourcing/sending your data, I’d say Exetel could well be worth a look. An unlimited 100Mbps service is still going to move a fairly obscene amount of data over the course of a month even if there were contention issues during peak time. I’d be surprised if you weren’t able to max the connection out with even TPG (assuming you traffic was traversing a local IX) at peak times.

FYI - I use a TP-Link WDR 4300 (running a non-standard firmware if you’re up for tinkering) and it’s never skipped a beat. This with the router handling DHCP, DNS, NAT, firewalling, maintaining two OpenVPN tunnels, etc. I think they’re like $120.

Kind Regards,

David Hill
* Hostcentral - Since 2002
* http://www.hostcentral.net.au