[AusNOG] l2tpns

Stuart Low stuart.low at me.com
Sun Aug 10 18:02:32 EST 2014

Hi There,

Short answer, Yes, definitely. I no longer work for the company in question but L2TPNS is used extensively for a large mobile related termination platform. We pushed it all the way to it’s limits of 65,000 users although lowered back to 50,000 concurrent sessions per cluster on account that the throttling capability involves packet reforwarding to the Master node and the cost of hardware was minimal relative to the total user count (at last count >150,000 users). I should also point out that the bandwidth budget per user was for 3G so your results may vary depending on your use case.

We successfully achieved ~10Gbit per cluster using 6-8 Dell Poweredge 860s. Initially we used the onboard GigE (Tigon3 cards) initially but as I was leaving I believe these were bumped up to 10Gbit cards as I left. We paired this with Radius based authentication and L2TP multi-hop for “branded” 3G terminations to various clusters. In the largest setup we used the telco’s ISN configuration to balance across multiple clusters although presumably you could use a round-robin Radiator deployment to achieve the same thing. Probably the main thing to look out for is jumbo frames combined with some websites PMTU discovery configurations (Facebook was a serious culprit here) causing either heavy fragmentation on your upstream routers or non accessible websites.