[AusNOG] Cisco routers on NBN 100/40Mbps connection

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Sun Aug 10 12:51:45 EST 2014

Single stream im sure you will see close to what your looking for 100Mb
However multi users on the same site and different streams / packet size
you wont see 100Mb.
This is also true with the 1800 it will depend on the config/ACL and what's
enabled.

I would strongly look towards using a 1921, or 2900 this will really give
you the performance you are looking for.

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM, James Jazza <jjazza26 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I agree that small packet size will flood the router - but what about
> standard, large 1000 byte packets?
>
> i.e. for a small office with 5-10 staff, will a Cisco 881 be a performance
> bottleneck for a 100/40Mbps connection with large file downloads and web
> traffic downloads.
>
> When we use a cheap Netgear or Draytek router, a speed test to
> www.speedtest.net will show 80-100Mbps speed test result.
>
> Is a Cisco 881 powerful enough to show the same speed test result since we
> will be talking about 1400 byte patckets for large transfers?
>
> J.
>

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Nathan Brookfield <
> Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  James,
>>
>>  This would be correct but I don't believe an 1841 is any more capable,
>> possibly a 1941 or a 2900 series.
>>
>> Kindest Regards,
>> Nathan Brookfield
>>
>> Chief Executive Officer
>> Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
>>
>>  Web: http://simtronic.com.au
>> Phone: 1300 592 330
>> Fax: (02) 4749 4950
>>
>> On 10 Aug 2014, at 10:55, "James Jazza" <jjazza26 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Guys,
>>
>>  We are hearing reports that Cisco 881 routers are not suitable for NBN
>> 100/40Mbps connections, and that we need to use the next model up - a Cisco
>> 1841 instead.
>>
>>  Can anyone comment on this? As the Cisco 881 has 100Mbps internal
>> ports, so I would have thought it would be ok.
>>
>>  Thanks
>>
>>  James Ashdown

Regards,

Bruce