[AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

David Bomba david at rackcentral.com.au
Fri Aug 8 14:22:57 EST 2014

If it is just Netflow/sFlow data, storage accumulates at approximately 30Gb per /22 per month from our data. YMMV. Given most enterprise switches / routers have had these capabilities for sometime, it would appear that cost impact will revolve solely around ‘storage’ of data.

I don’t see their system working without L7 data, either they will get that from other sources, or they’ll incrementally keep increasing the type of data required for ISPs to hold.

Malcolm has put out the bush fire, but no one is asking the obvious question….

On 8 August 2014 at 2:13:46 pm, Ross Wheeler (ausnog at rossw.net<mailto:ausnog at rossw.net>) wrote:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, Joseph Goldman wrote:

> God I hope so. That data is in Radius logs alone for the most part - if its
> just a matter of holding the data for 2 years, woo! Pretty sure we've got
> some of that data back 10 years!

Not sure I should admit this... but I've got every radius (and its
predecessor back when we were just using SLIP and later PPP with
digiboards under BSDI) - back to when we started early 1995.

Those records are small to start with, and compress well. Archival and
storage of those at least are easy.
https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1K9i06QI9G/3192IeUbDSvVrmcEq2tPEX/0