[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Tue Aug 5 13:24:40 EST 2014

This one too:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/08/government-reportedly-authorises-mandatory-data-retention-scheme/

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Narelle
Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2014 1:22 PM
To: Terry Sweetser
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

FYI

Data retention plans leaked before Cabinet briefed

By AAP and Josh Taylor<http://www.zdnet.com/meet-the-team/au/josh-taylor/> | August 5, 2014 -- 02:17 GMT (12:17 AEST)

Cabinet is meeting in Canberra on Tuesday to sign off on a new package that would force telecommunications to retain customer data for up to two years.

Cabinet's national security committee is understood to have approved on Monday night laws to make it mandatory for telecommunications companies to store customer data for at least two years.

The government has yet to detail what exact data sets that it would want the companies to store for access by government agencies.

The data can already be accessed without a warrant for criminal and intelligence investigations, but monitoring of internet or telephone use over a period of time requires a warrant from the attorney-general.

The government had originally said it was putting off the proposal for the time being, but news of the fast-tracked approval of the controversial plans was leaked to the Daily Telegraph this morning.

It appears, however, that Liberal ministers were unaware of the proposals prior to it being reported in the media. At a doorstop this morning, Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull declined to comment on the proposal, stating that it had yet to appear before Cabinet.
etc at:
http://www.zdnet.com/data-retention-plans-leaked-before-cabinet-briefed-7000032321/