[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:21:50 EST 2014

FYI

Data retention plans leaked before Cabinet briefed

changes to anti-terrorism laws set to announced by the Australian federal
government, but the Federal Cabinet has yet to be briefed on the proposals
By AAP and Josh Taylor <http://www.zdnet.com/meet-the-team/au/josh-taylor/>
| August 5, 2014 -- 02:17 GMT (12:17 AEST)

Cabinet is meeting in Canberra on Tuesday to sign off on a new package that
would force telecommunications to retain customer data for up to two years.

Cabinet's national security committee is understood to have approved on
Monday night laws to make it mandatory for telecommunications companies to
store customer data for at least two years.

The government has yet to detail what exact data sets that it would want
the companies to store for access by government agencies.

The data can already be accessed without a warrant for criminal and
intelligence investigations, but monitoring of internet or telephone use
over a period of time requires a warrant from the attorney-general.

The government had originally said it was putting off the proposal for the
time being, but news of the fast-tracked approval of the controversial
plans was leaked to the Daily Telegraph this morning.

It appears, however, that Liberal ministers were unaware of the proposals
prior to it being reported in the media. At a doorstop this morning,
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull declined to comment on the
proposal, stating that it had yet to appear before Cabinet.
etc at:
http://www.zdnet.com/data-retention-plans-leaked-before-cabinet-briefed-7000032321/

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) <
terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Noggers,
>
> What thoughts and plans do people have in place for the possible legal
> requirements for data retention?
>
> VoIP and PSTN CDRs are very much an easy-beat, no one would be discarding
> those as quickly as 2 years.
>
> But mail logs?  Web clicks?  What scope are we talking about here? How far
> will we possibly (be forced to) go?
>
> --
> http://about.me/terry.sweetser

Narelle