[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Tue Aug 5 10:57:27 EST 2014

The thing is.. until we're actually told what we need to do... there is
little point speculating about it... because it could be anything - or
nothing.

CDR's are easy... we have that to do billing.  Maillogs, well, that is
stupid since very few people use their ISP's email addresses these days...
most are on Gmail/Hotmail/etc.

Web clicks.. that is a whole world of WTF...

The whole proposal is stupid.  The funny thing is that is 200k (as
reported) people are using VPN's to get to Netflix (as I do), then we could
just torrent through that anyway, and the ISP wouldn't be able to see it.

I'd love the government to try to intercept VPN's - watch businesses lose
their minds if that happens.

And if they leave VPN's alone (which I imagine they'd have to), then the
popularity of VPN's will just go off.

It is like when they were using the hype of predators on the internet...
any self respecting non-idiot predator would be using a VPN or TOR, and any
not, is advertising to get caught (which they all should be).

Personally, I am not anti-piracy protections, but I am heavily against
pointless and unenforcible policies.

I should do a video about this :)

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering