[AusNOG] Megaport - Link Negotiation

jason andrade jason at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 15:11:18 EST 2014

G'day,

From the content side of things I'd point out that 1Gbit still lets you move quite a lot of data:

~8T/day (at 80% utilization)
~60T/week
~250T/month
~3P/year

It would be pretty interesting to see figures (or a study) that enumerates:
	- Amount of data moved across peering links (bytes)
	- Peak transfer speeds across peering links (bits)

and to then plot both as a function across time.

At a personal level for the last 2-3 years in the R&E sector I cannot think of when I'd been working with < 10Gbit interfaces except for OOB/Management links but I still find quite a few instances where 1Gbit would usually work fine…

… except when the cost differential has narrowed so much that over the 3-5 year lifespan and the total cost of the infrastructure, what is the point.
… and those times when you simply must have a 10Gbit (or multiples thereof) to move large chunks of data around where time is in fact a critical function (science).

regards,

-jason
-----
P: 0402 489 637  M: +61 402 489 637   E: jason at pobox.com