[AusNOG] Stopping unwanted random NTP traffic

John Wooler john.wooler at exigent.com.au
Tue Apr 15 16:00:53 EST 2014

Hi Andrew

My personal recommendation and professional recommendation would honestly be Micron21 (based in Melbourne).

Over the past month or 2 we have been using them for DDoS protection on our network in Melbourne, Brisbane & Sydney over the Megaport VCX service and by far these guys have hit the nail on the coffin when it comes to this sort of network protection.  We’ve actually seen a number of DDoS attacks coming in on NTP ourselves, DNS attacks, random attacks on port 80 etc and these guys mitigate any type of attack when it comes to this type of stuff.

There’s a few good points to list

-          All traffic stays here in Australia so no re-routing traffic to America or elsewhere around the globe….  This helps with not having to add latency for your end clients to experience & complain about.

-          Once an attack starts, they’re quick on the ball to detect it and alert you of the attack + monitor it as well.

-          They have the capacity to handle large attacks.

-          They own the equipment and have in-house certified engineers who know what they’re doing and always willing to help out in anyway.

We’re using them and we’re going to continue using them for a very long time to come (probably forever to be real honest) and I couldn’t recommend them enough.

Check out their DDoS site as well.
http://www.micron21.com/ddos-protection.php

Kindest Regards,

John Wooler