[AusNOG] Some rough numbers

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu Apr 10 11:15:21 EST 2014

OK,

In Juniper: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000265-en.pdf

Good overview.. looks like you would need the SRX1400 or more.

SRX1400 is around $28k-ex list (not sure what interfaces come standard)

In Cisco:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/models-comparison.html#~tab-c

Looks like an ASA 5585-X with SSP20 or SSP40

An SSP20 with 2 x 10gb etc, is list $104k, refurb (from Cisco) about $62k
list.

Others.

Personally I hate Checkpoint... Over complicated and junk hardware of many
of the platforms.  Extremely expensive licensing.

Fortigate I've worked on a bit, but I don't think much of them, but their
management software isn't bad.

No idea about Sophos.

I've heard good things about Palo Alto, but never used them myself.

Sonicwalls... meh

Sourcefire is interesting, and just been acquired by Cisco.

Some awards for last year:
http://www.scmagazine.com/2013-sc-magazine-us-awards-finalists/article/270471/

But most of those are what I call 'fringe vendors' with minimal online
information, communities, or expertise available without high cost.  So I
would stick to vendors where you can easily get expertise.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering