[AusNOG] Discussion point: Why aren't the NBNCo tails symmetric in speed?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 11:37:27 EST 2014

My understanding is you are entirely correct, you would need TC-2 & TC-4
CVC's if you wanted to deliver both types of traffic, you can't mix them
up.

What I was comparing was on the basis that if you wanted to provide only
one of them over the other one, then the only cost differential is the
extra tail cost of $218/mon.

Assuming you don't want to contend your CVC (and isn't that the whole
point of TC-2 ?) then a 40/40M TC-2 service is going to cost $256 + $800 =
$1056/mon. This would provide a service that I think would be comparable
to me currently purchasing a p2p fibre service from any existing carrier
(CIR = tail speed, non-contended the whole way). I don't know what others
might say, but I feel that $1000/mon for a 40M fibre service is not very
competitive with comparable offerings in this space ?

regards,
Tony.