[AusNOG] Monitoring ULL drops on AAPT MBE connections

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Fri Apr 4 18:19:49 EST 2014

This isn't specific to AAPT, but at $previous_employer, we had the same
issue with TPG EFM/MBE connections. We discovered that the NTUs would
get an IP address if you offered them one via DHCP, at which point we
could prod them with SNMP. They started shipping us ones with that
disabled, so we started systematically swapping them out with spare
units we had in stock, then reset the new one and configured it how we
wanted it. We'd asked repeatedly for them to monitor such things--
suffice to say they wouldn't, so we couldn't care less.

Seeing as we were doing IP telephony, we were anal about monitoring the
last mile.

I don't know if that's achievable with AAPT, but food for thought.

-Shane