[AusNOG] Cisco ASA question

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Thu Apr 3 15:57:43 EST 2014

     ++
     |R0|                                      1.2.3.254/24
     ++

   1.2.3.0/24                                    Public

+-------------------+         object nat for
       .1 & .2                                              .10,.11,.12,.13,.14
     ++                                                       etc
     |R1|
     ++

 +---------------+
     10.0.0.0/24

+-----------------+

     ++              1.2.3.129/32
     |R2|              on loopback
     ++

1.2.3.0/24 - is a public routable network
R0 is a router on 1.2.3.0/24 network
R1 is the ASA int internet is on network 1.2.3.0/24 has .1 & .2 assign to it (asa cluster), it also has the DGW via 1.2.3.254
R2 is a router inside my network and advertises 1.2.3.129/32 via OSPF, which R1 picks up on interface internal

10.0.0.0/24 is used on the internal R1 interface

so if R0 tries to send a packet to 1.2.3.129 will the ASA (R1) reply to arp requests and will it then route it internally if I use identity nat or the nat exemption some people have suggest

Thanks to Eric for the link to asci draw. I think though that outlook kills it :(