[AusNOG] Scaling beyond 1Gbps transit

James Mcintosh james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:30:49 EST 2013

Hi Noggers,

Our transit link is currently running at 600Mbps with a Cisco 7201 at the edge. I'm needing to create a plan for going beyond 1Gbps of transit. What are people doing when they hit the hard interface limit of 1Gbps on their edge routers?

Are you hooking up 10Gbps gear to your transit provider or are you running multiple 1Gbps links to them? If the latter, how are you going about this? e.g. multiple edge routers with multiple BGP sessions?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and comments on going beyond 1Gbps.

-James