[AusNOG] So it was Apple.

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 20 07:14:33 EST 2013

In my recent Ausnog presentation,

"The Rapid Rise of the Mobile Hultihomed Host, and and what it might mean to the network"
http://www.users.on.net/~markachy/The_Rapid_Rise_of_the_MMHH.pdf

I speculated that the people who have a strong interest in deploying Multipath TCP on both MMHH and their servers was Google.

One thing I didn't mention in the presentation, was that the anonymous implementer of MPTCP had also provided a comment regarding what they were going to use it for:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey-02#section-9

"4.  Overall, what are you implementation and testing plans? (details
   can be given against individual items later)"

And their answer was:

"We plan to use it in a mobile environment."

"Mobile environment" is pretty general, so it was a bit hard to conclude that it was talking about smartphones/tablets.

It seems Apple are now using MPTCP in IOS 7 for Siri:

http://perso.uclouvain.be/olivier.bonaventure/blog/html/2013/09/18/mptcp.html

Regards,
Mark.