[AusNOG] Small Scale VDSL/2

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 19:09:28 EST 2013

As I understand it, you can run xDSL over CAT5e easily enough (goodness
knows that's exactly how my household is currently wired). You may struggle
to run much in the way of ethernet over two wires (I am aware of EoC,
though as I understand it, that requires more than a single pair?).

As you noted, the cost of the actual cable (CAT5e vs TP) would not likely
be significant, though other parts of the build may be ( you can trunk
larger numbers of pairs in 25-pair cables and split off each connection
roughly where you need to), so although CAT5e is less likely to be a
technology blocker in the future, you may have more issues with it than
just additional cable cost (duct space, flexibility [not that 25-pair
cables are flexible)], additional handling requirements during install,
etc).

That said, for structured cabling, would you not choose CAT6 anyway over
CAT5e? Particularly as it has better inter-pair cross-talk and attenuation
properties due to the physical separation of the twisted-pairs (could you
in fact deliver four two wire services from each CAT6 cable, or two per
cable and leave a spare pair at each termination point to dwal with either
post-installation faults with any given pair, or perhaps the option to run
four-wire services should they be required).