[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We¹ll do our own FTTB

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Wed Sep 18 08:19:41 EST 2013

Yeah - and it also says that you can extend up to 1km from the
pre-existing network.

I remember back in 2005 at PIPE we undertook analysis to create a
wholesale FttB play under something we called "Project Slam" (DSLAM'ing
buildings was the logic behind the unimaginative name).  The blueprint
included everything from fibre build cost per building, in-building
DLSAM's with battery backup, land-access notices, building hit list,
wholesale voice/VoIP handoff, wholesale L2 handoff (separate), auto
provisioning for new tenants (plug-in and select your provider and plan
from the list etc.).  We used 127 Creek St as our demo site setting up
VDSL (because if was from the MDF we avoided the regulatory restrictions
on VDSL that applied at the time).  I think back then we were settled on
Zhone.

Back in 2005 there were 20,000 apartments in at least 4 story buildings
within something like 300m of our network.  A network that spanned about
50km.  In early 2006 we recut the analysis it was already well over
100,000 such MDU's. When Sol Trujillo threatened to build a FttN (late
2006?) we recut it again and I think it was something like 2,000,000
properties within either 500m or 1km of the network.  Granted that's
parcels, not just MDU's, but when you consider 1km of PIPE's Network in
2011 (almost 2,000km from memory) it would include everything in Sydney
from Mascot to Chatswood on about an 8km corridor, everything in North
Ryde/Macquarie Park, Rhodes/Silverwater/Olympic Park, most of the Eastern
Suburbs, Northern Beaches, Paramatta, Penrith etc. and that's just the
areas of Sydney that would have "blanket ability" to walk through cherry
picking (1km).

I would think 500,000 MDU's would easily in reach both commercially and
without the need for regulatory intervention.  This is just one of
numerous projects/blueprints we did behind the scenes.  Did anyone want to
know what it would cost to build fibre to every building in the inner
metro areas of Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne?  Well someone now has that.
 Ahhh those were the days ;)

Cheers

[b]