[AusNOG] Australian Steam Content Mirrors

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Tue Sep 17 21:28:02 EST 2013

Pretty much on the ball, although think you'll find valve5/6 are behind
highwinds, not their CDN product indeed just their bandwidth, but meh.

I've heard from another person that steam got an agreement with a few
providers like highwinds to soak up excess bandwidth which looked very
attractive to steam compared to their outgoings for various caches, but
quality has been greately decreased in some markets, like AU, just not
their core which is why they've gotten away with it.

So yea, steam went on a cost-cutting spree and we're suffering as a result.
Frankly it'd still be possible to have ISP caches at 0 cost to steam aside
from management, but said person has indicated they don't really care.
Shame :(