[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We’ll do our own FTTB

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Tue Sep 17 18:53:32 EST 2013

On 17/09/13 18:47, Tom Lanyon wrote:
> On 17/09/2013, at 6:09 PM, Jake Anderson <yahoo at vapourforge.com> wrote:
>> On 17/09/2013, at 5:14 PM, Nick Gale <nickgale at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are you saying we should have the ability for NBN competitors? If so why?
>> Because if you don't then private enterprise will build a bunch of little fiefdoms where it will be uneconomical for anybody else to try to take market share with diminishing returns, and as a bonus all those areas in "the bush"       that the population as a whole is rather fond of won't get any services at all because its not "economic" to do so.
> None of which would be an issue, assuming that this is all occurring in parallel to the NBN, right?

It means private networks would undercut the NBN for price in the
"profitable" areas making the NBN which is meant to span the whole
country not viable.
How the coalition plans to solve this one has yet to be explained.

IE
NBNco now buys the copper off telstra for X $Bn, Telstra uses that money
to drop fibre in the "profitable" areas, sells fibre services cheaper
than NBNco can sell vdsl as NBNco is expected to support your aunt in
the country and copper costs more to maintain anyway.
NBNco goes bankrupt, gets sold back to Telstra for cents in the dollar.