[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We’ll do our own FTTB

Grahame Lynch grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:09:24 EST 2013

This is what the legislation says:

*A network unit that belongs to a telecommunications network (other than
the national broadband network) must not be used to supply a fixed-line
carriage service if: *

*                (a)     the network is used, or is capable of being used,
to supply a superfast carriage service to customers, or prospective
customers, in Australia; and*
* *

*               (b)     no Layer 2 bitstream service is available for
supply to those customers or prospective customers using the network; and*
* *

*                (c)     the network came into existence, or was upgraded,
after 25 November 2010; and*
* *

*               (d)     the network unit is not used wholly to supply
carriage services to a single government or corporate end-user*.

*1)  This section applies to a network unit if:*

*                      (a)  the network unit is:*
* *

*                               (i)  part of the infrastructure of a
telecommunications network in Australia; or*
* *

*                              (ii)  used, or for use, in or in connection
with a telecommunications network in Australia; and*
* *

*                      (b)  the network is not the national broadband
network; and*
* *

*                      (c)  the network is used, or is capable of being
used, to supply a superfast carriage service to customers, or prospective
customers, in Australia; and*
* *

*                      (d)  no Layer 2 bitstream service is available for
supply to those customers or prospective customers using the network; and*
* *

*                      (e)  either:*
* *

*                               (i)  the network came into existence after
25 November 2010; or*
* *

*                              (ii)  the network was altered or upgraded
after 25 November 2010 and, as a result of the alteration or upgrade, the
network became capable of being used to supply a superfast carriage service
to customers, or prospective customers, in Australia; and*
* *

*                       (f)  the network unit is not used wholly to supply
carriage services to a single end-user, where that end-user is:*
* *

*                               (i)  a public body; or*
* *

*                              (ii)  a company.*

The legislation covers upgrades as well as new builds and specifies that a
Layer 2 bitstream service must be made available.