[AusNOG] Screw the NBN, says TPG: We?ll do our own FTTB

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Tue Sep 17 13:56:53 EST 2013

> This will most likely have the effect of the government going "brilliant,
> private enterprise is stepping up here, we dont need to deploy a competing
> infrastructure" and then thoes half million premises will end up stuck with
> a monopoly controlled by TPG (unless iiNet / Telstra also decide to over
> build into thoes same apartments - if they can)

No doubt AU carriers would love to replicate territory carve-outs
notorious in the US. Seems like the change of government is seen as an
opportunity to try and claim a slice of the pie. Or at least float the
idea to see if anyone in government squeals...

Whatever one thinks of the NBN, it was a consumer-centric
model. Flipping back to a carrier-centric model is definitely the most
concerning aspect of the change of government; we have lots of history
that tells us exactly how well that worked out for the country.

Mark.