[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 16:01:14 EST 2013

________________________________

> From: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au>
>
>The thing you seem to be missing is it isn't the type of service or the type of user that dictates whether asymmetry will cause problems, it's whether TCP is being used or not. Since TCP is used by everybody, whether it's a residential or business service doesn't matter. *All* user or customer types will benefit from symmetry, unless they don't use TCP.
>
>Assuming residential users will only download is ignoring the reality that people are doing things like uploading large photos and videos to facebook, flickr, youtube etc., and video conferencing with their relatives or their doctor or other professionals. If the "NBNs" of either party don't recognise this, then they're not as revolutionary or evolutionary as they and the general population think. These NBNs are going to constrain end-users to primarily being consumers of content rather than equally being possibly both consumers and producers, or being producers more than consumers.

All video conf & VoIP I've seen uses UDP which means the video conferencing session to the medical professional is not going to care about ACK's at all. Obviously a lack of available bandwidth/QoS in either direction is going to cause it grief, but that has nothing to do with the ACK situation.

In this case having some upstream ACKs getting lost may even be beneficial to the video conf if it causes the big TCP download that is happening to slow down as a result of lost ACK's ;)