[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 15 15:09:07 EST 2013

>________________________________

Why is it acceptable to not be able provide what is being sold? Just because some people don't realise they're not getting the service they're paying for, I don't think that means it is acceptable to continue to sell a service that cannot actually be delivered.

>I could be wrong but I think you've shifted a bit away from ietf best practice reasons to have symmetry, towards the fact people actually need more upload full stop, symmetry being a happy coincidence.

No, I have not shifted away from the IETF BCP. People need so much "upload" that it equals their "download".

The thing you seem to be missing is it isn't the type of service or the type of user that dictates whether asymmetry will cause problems, it's whether TCP is being used or not. Since TCP is used by everybody, whether it's a residential or business service doesn't matter. *All* user or customer types will benefit from symmetry, unless they don't use TCP.

Assuming residential users will only download is ignoring the reality that people are doing things like uploading large photos and videos to facebook, flickr, youtube etc., and video conferencing with their relatives or their doctor or other professionals. If the "NBNs" of either party don't recognise this, then they're not as revolutionary or evolutionary as they and the general population think. These NBNs are going to constrain end-users to primarily being consumers of content rather than equally being possibly both consumers and producers, or being producers more than consumers.