[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 15 13:56:59 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Where I most think it matters is that the service speeds people buy sets, quite reasonably, their expectations of what they'll be able to get out of their service.

So if a customer buys a 25/5 service for example, they'd expect that they'd be able to upload at 5Mbps while also downloading at 25Mbps. They probably won't be able to due to bandwidth asymmetry, which means that the ISP/RSP may be violating trade practices laws for false advertising. Or in the least, the ISP/RSP have to deal with customer complaints.

OTOH, if the ISP/RSP provided 25/25, then it is possible to both upload and download using TCP at full rates in both directions.

In the brave new NBN world, where people have data centers in their basement, are uploading X-rays from their iPhone 9, and streaming 4K security camera video of their cat to the Internet, I think the consequences of this asymmetry are going to become are more visible.

Regards,

Mark.