[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Sep 13 12:10:04 EST 2013

On 13/09/2013 11:33 AM, Matt Perkins wrote:
> I think there are to many unknown's to apply much of this type of logic to NBN2. The
> 100M/bit question will be.
>
> Where will they put the "node". The most logical place will be to knock over the
> pillars (big grey knob looking post)  and put the big green graffiti target in it's
> place. The Node will then cover what was formally known as the "distribution area" (DA).

Knocking it over is likely to result in too long without any service for many hundreds
of people. Most proposals I've seen assume the pillar itself stays, the node cabinet
is installed beside it, and 100-pair cables from the MDF in the cabinet are run into
the pillar, replacing the main cables from the exchange. The customer pairs are
cross-connected within the pillar as normal.
That's what they did in the UK, and the new regime seems to like to follow the UK
model in many things.

>  If that's the case the direct main cable usually 300+ pairs direct to the exchange
> will be superseded with the fiber & node.
Yes.

> This higher density cable is where most of the cross talk is seen usually. It's
> induced in these cables but the root cause  is usually impedance mismatch further
> down the loop. With the higher density cable out of the picture I think the cross
> talk will be decreased overall but the  root cause will still be there to cause havoc.
Vectoring fixes this.

> Nothing would be done further down the loop. It would work how it works now best
> effort. Customer would go to dick smith and get themselves a vdsl modem with
> POTS/VOIP port and that would be that.  Average speed would be <25M/bit with a the
> lucky few <50M/bit

except the election promise was 25 Mbps minimum for all to begin with, raising to 50
Mbps minimum for 90% of people after vectoring is installed.
I can see a lot of truckrolls to homes to install VDSL2-capable central
filters/splitters - BT in the UK also confirms that many of the problems woith VDSL2
performance they've seen relate to in-home cabling.
Its still going to be a good time to be a registered cabling contractor.

P.