[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Fri Sep 13 11:33:54 EST 2013

I think there are to many unknown's to apply much of this type of logic
to NBN2. The 100M/bit question will be.

Where will they put the "node". The most logical place will be to knock
over the pillars (big grey knob looking post)  and put the big green
graffiti target in it's place. The Node will then cover what was
formally known as the "distribution area" (DA).

  If that's the case the direct main cable usually 300+ pairs direct to
the exchange will be superseded with the fiber & node. This higher
density cable is where most of the cross talk is seen usually. It's
induced in these cables but the root cause  is usually impedance
mismatch further down the loop. With the higher density cable out of the
picture I think the cross talk will be decreased overall but the  root
cause will still be there to cause havoc.

Warning detail ahead !

  Iam assuming BYO CPE and internal customer premisses cable .  So the
mismatches will still be there even if someone had the foresight to go
and remove all the bridged tap's in the joining posts and pits. Most of
these exist in large epoxy filled heads that is basically just  3 pairs
scotch locked together stuck in what looks like the bottom half of a 2l
drink bottle and filled with Epoxy.  Some even have passive L/C
(inductors/coils of wire) components in place that were used to balance
the loop back toward the now non existing mains cable. Records for this
stuff is flakey to non-existent. It has to be found. Burred in the
ground in unknown locations encapsulated in epoxy some in asbestos pits.
Some of these pits have been covered by earth or concrete years ago.
There is little financial case to make all this happen. It's man power
intensive. Time consuming dirty work. It does not fit the Pizza delivery
business model and wont happen.  You may as well put in fiber at that
point.

If i was tasked with this brief. That is to get this thing working as
quickly and cheaply as possible so it can be sold. This is what I would do.

Get a contractor to build a custom node housing. It would be a big box
that would allow the dslam/vdsl equipment at one end and the other end
would fit over the existing pillar. Jumpers could then be run from the
dslam to the pillar  untill all subscribers were off the main's cable.
The mains cable could then be ripped out by a disposal contractor to
sell the copper.

Nothing would be done further down the loop. It would work how it works
now best effort. Customer would go to dick smith and get themselves a
vdsl modem with POTS/VOIP port and that would be that.  Average speed
would be <25M/bit with a the lucky few <50M/bit

It would be very quick to finish. Does not touch the ends of the CAN
where all the problems are and the whole thing could be sold to a sucker
(aka mum&dad's via share offers and super funds) and we can go through
this whole thing again in 10 years.

Matt.