[AusNOG] ADSL2+ line sync data

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 09:27:48 EST 2013

I would have thought minimal chance. If they're that close to an exchange/RIM to get good sync/speed, then they should remain that close with FTTN. It's possible there might be some silliness that happens due to cable paths, but it would have to be a fairly corner case where speed would drop. The copper isn't being changed, just what it connects to.

regards,
Tony.

>________________________________

        out how VDSL2 would be any different)...

>>>In contrast to the current ADSL2+ network, there are 3 big
        differences with the proposed VDSL2 FTTN deployment -
>>>(i) shorter loop lengths (700-800m)
>>>(ii) vectoring (crosstalk--)
>>>(iii) bonding (speed++)
>>>
>>>While such a VDSL2 network is not as good as fibre, it's no
        where near as bad as the current ADSL2+ network.
>>>Right now some poor folks are on 6km loop lengths, there's
        plenty of crosstalk and getting bonding working is a challenge.

You can forget about pair bonding in the broader plan - I sincerely doubt the budget or street cabinets will be big enough to build two ports for every dwelling.

>>My point was that - without vectoring - the VDSL2 chart would look
    much the same.

>>Sure the axis labels would change - distances to 5km become
    distances to 800 metres, bandwidth tops out at 120 Mbps instead of
    24 Mbps - but the shape of the chart would look much the same. A
    negligable proportion getting the full 'up to' speed, roughly 30% of
    people getting speeds down to 50% of the "up to" limit, and a large
    hump majority of people down the low end getting about 10 - 15 Mbps
    - probably better than the ~4 Mbps they might get now with ADSL2,
    but not really up to the new benchmark.

>>That leaves vectoring as the major difference - which will make
    speeds more predictable and push a lot more services to the right to
    higher speeds, reduce the width of the fuzzy cloud in the second
    diagram, but still won't deliver 50 Mbps further than about 750
    metres.

>>Anyway, back to the original topic  - I was looking for ADSL2+ data
    - anyone?

>>>Regards,
>>> - Guy.
>>>

>>>On 12/09/2013 12:17 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>>A recent Ofcom (UK) report has a very interesting chart of ADSL2+ line speeds:

                any different)

Also scatter-plots of sync-speed with line-length, as per Figure 8 from another UK report:

Guy Ellis guy at traverse.com.au www.traverse.com.au T: +61 3 9386 4435 M: +61 419 398 234