[AusNOG] Single Switch Full 48-Port PoE Support

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 11 13:54:46 EST 2013

Hi Tim,

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Tim March wrote:
> The phones are Polycom VVX 500 that draw a maximum of 5W per port for a
> total of 240W per switch. We've bene looking at 2960's and this fits
> nicely within it's 370W PoE budget. However, the .3af advertisement from
> the phone gets interpreted as Class-0 (15.4W) and the switch will only
> power >= 28 devices concurrently.
>
> On the Catalyst we're able to get around this (I think?) with the `power
> inline max` config directive to force it to spread the power budget
> across all ports.
>
> For what we're trying to do a set of 2960's will come in around $25k.
>
> My question is: Can any of you guys suggest cheaper switches that will
> allow us to run 48 x 5W PoE from a single device with the ability to
> ignore the 15.4W .3af advertisement that will tell the switch to shut
> down the additional ports?

Enterasys switches can do this, they'll reallocate unused power back to
the central pool for other devices: https://lists.unc.edu/read/archive?id=5739276

Used B2G124-48Ps can be had on eBay for under $1k, although I'd recommend
going for B3G124-48Ps if the budget stretches.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |