[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Mon Sep 9 10:30:42 EST 2013

As Previously mentioned - In case of major fault or natural disaster -
Telstra's main focus seems to be getting a mobile network available
before restoring landline and internet services (Assuming mobile network
is down too).

Those who don't require something like medi-alert tend not to have
'unpowered' devices (basic corded phones etc), and in this age of
technology it is not unreasonable to expect even an elderly person to
have a mobile phone if even just for emergencies.

I haven't personally encountered how a MediAlert system is handled on
the NBN, but that (and B2B alarm systems) are really my own personal
worries about losing copper connections.

The worst part so far is my grandparents were 'forced' on to NBN by
Telstra (just for phone line). Telstra, instead of using Uni-V, have
been deploying a router with VoIP and a DECT handset using data. Went
and visited them the other day and they said randomly they have to
restart the router to get the phone working again (i.e. the SIP/IAX
registration probably drops). In that time, they have no idea how many
inbound calls they may have missed, and don't know its broken until they
try to make a call out.