[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Sun Sep 8 11:45:06 EST 2013

>From the local meetings I¹ve seen in the past 6 month Turnbull has a pretty
good idea how crap many local areas are, Roweville has areas lucky to get
56k speeds. His words were ³if the copper in the ground is too bad we¹ll run
fibre to the house on a case by case basis².

Before we say the sky is falling, let¹s see what happens as the NBN
pre-Saturday wasn¹t perfect.

1. If Telstra had put fibre in an area NBN wouldn¹t touch the area, so zero
choice.
2. Contracts will have to be renegotiated ­ always interesting.
3. Talk to your new/old local member you just never know, whinging on
whingepool won¹t change anything but maybe talking to your politician MIGHT
make a difference. Arm him her with some facts then can understand to argue
in Canberra.
4. Telstra offered several years ago to build a fibre network but the
Government turned them down, hence why they¹ve raced the NBN to be first
into some areas. And no I don¹t trust the 800kg gorilla.

Now back to the BBQ and sport finals.

Cheers
Chris