[AusNOG] GoodBye NBN

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 8 10:15:24 EST 2013

My parents line in Roebuck Estate in Broome (north WA) is 320m wiring distance from their RIM and their line usually goes completely dead once a month. The RIM is 2k's from the exchange.
Telstra techs have told me on numerous occasions that the backhaul in this area is fine but Roebuck Estate was planned really badly, the RIMs are usually congested and the cards are unreliable.

The faults have been occurring for about six years, the techs come out and reset the card in the RIM, or put them on another card which is relatively less congested than the other cards, and of course the problem repeats because the cards need resetting again and or congestion gets worse, or both.

Telstra have told WestNet they're not gunna fix it properley because they don't have any obligation to do so, but I keep logging the faults anyway just so there's a paper trail.

Telstra's excuse has always been "we're not fixing it because the NBN is coming" which is true, the NBN is being connected...in the newest housing estate 200m line-of-site to the North called Broome North, the fibre which is used to feed that estate runs straight past Roebuck Estate, I can easily see Broome North from my parents front yard but so far they aren't sharing any of the love with the existing neighbour.
A lot of residents in Broome North have NBN equipment physically installed and ready to go, but the service activation was promised a year ago and still hasn't happened for a lot of people, in the mean time they've been told to use wireless dongles for internet and mobile phone for calls, can't connect a PSTN phone because there's no copper in Broome North, nor do medi-alerts or security alarms work because there's no copper in Broome North. Nice to see a good back up plan!

Telstra techs tell me they've got the gear needed to fix all the RIM issues in Roebuck Estate, it's sitting in the store room in their office, but they've been told not to install it because "the NBN is coming". They've also told me that if the equipment in the RIM is changed (FTTN) then my oldies would effectively be on Coalition's NBN because everything else is already there.