[AusNOG] Liberals plan to Filter the Internet

Peter Childs pchilds at staff.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 5 19:39:34 EST 2013

Like a ADSL line filter.. Which I assume we will all need to keep.. :)

From: Martin - StudioCoast <martin.sinclair at studiocoast.com.au<mailto:martin.sinclair at studiocoast.com.au>>
Date: Thursday, 5 September 2013 6:36 PM
To: "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Liberals plan to Filter the Internet

As has recently been achieved in the UK, we expect these standards will involve the major
internet service providers providing home network filters for all new home broadband
services, which will be switched on as the default unless the customer specifies otherwise.
This is a very different approach to the discredited compulsory filter proposal championed
by the Rudd-Gillard Government, which was abandoned as unworkable.
The Coalition’s approach aims to empower parents – by giving them the choice of whether
or not to operate a filter at home, but by establishing the default setting as one which
provides maximum protection.

This sounds like CPE side filtering to me....do journalists actually read anything anymore??