[AusNOG] CryptoLocker Virus

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 09:52:28 EST 2013

The underlying idea behind the tech may be old, but for given purposes, it
is still hard to beat tape.

I can buy LTO5 tapes these days for around $50 each. That makes their $ per
GB ratio very favourable.

Tapes also tend to be much lighter than hard drives for the data they
carry, and generally more resistant to bumps and knocks during transit.

LTO5 is also very good at storing streaming data - exactly what most
backups are made of (if you're off-siting anyway).

And as the old saying goes, never under-estimate the bandwidth of a
station-wagon full of backup tapes.

Sure, the latency might be horrible, but the payload is bigger than you'll
ever achieve using any known network protocol or technology - which is why
I've seen tapes used to migrate data between international sites (you get
get terrabytes of data from one side of the world to the other in less than
24 hours in nothing more compex than a briefcase and no more expense than
an economy-class ticket - doing the same thing over a network, no matrer
how much bandwidth you think you have between say Germany and Australia).
Oh, you want guaranteed delivery? Two copies (on tape), sent with different
minders on different flights on different routes.